Sunday, September 4, 2011



Today has been a much-needed low-key day. Went to church, went for a mini hike. And somebody from the community is bringing dinner over for us tonight! Just because they wanna!! Gumbo. YUM. It’s been a nice day, although the more low-key days we have, the more we begin to realize how at risk we are of cabin fever. I love to be a homebody and relax, but in these initial weeks of settling into our jobs, we have had a lot of downtime at home, and sometimes it makes me a little antsy! So I’m going to start working a little harder to have a life outside of work that at least sometimes goes beyond coming straight home. I’m looking into joining a gym, looking into different activities and classes there are in the city. One of my JV roommates, Leslie, works at an art studio, and the rest of us are able to take any art class for free if we volunteer for a little, which is exciting! So pretty much, one of my biggest goals right now is getting a life, or at least starting to make a life here that will make it feel a bit more like a home.
At the same time, work is going to be picking up in responsibility as my training starts to wrap up, which is a bit nerve-wracking. But I am looking forward to really delving into this job and learning all that I can from it, which, as terrifying as that is, just can’t really happen until I’m in the midst of it, on my own, not in training but actually doing. Obviously, YIKES. There’s still so much that I’m fuzzy on, and so much that intimidates me, and it’s going to be a stretch. But being stretched is the best way to grow, right?
And regardless of day-to-day worklife stressors, there’s the natural beauty of Juneau, and it honestly makes everything make sense. Juneau is rarely without rain and fog, but even so, it is beautiful in that way. It is a different kind of beautiful, but it is still indisputable. But, thankfully, Juneau has also given us one or two days so far that are filled with sunshine and take this place’s beauty from something mysterious to something absolutely artistic, and something that pictures cannot do justice (but, we can try: )





No comments:

Post a Comment